[MyData & Open Data] My Data, Our Data, Their Data

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:14:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

My name is Steve Song and I am interested in Transparency/Accountability
and Privacy from a developing country perspective.  I am still just
scratching the surface of privacy issues and look forward to learning from
you all.

>From a privacy perspective, personal data seems like only a piece of the
puzzle.  Data on groups, particularly marginalised groups, say the Roma in
Europe or particular tribes in Africa can be potentially a tool for
oppression.  Perhaps one might argue this is personal information but it is
data that is only significant in aggregate.

Then there is non-personal data such as environmental data that warrants
consideration.  Do endangered species have the right to privacy?  At least
from poachers?

Even basic information about scarce resources such as watersheds and water
sources in conflict regions may arguably have a privacy component.  Perhaps
privacy is the wrong word in this context.  Sensitive might be nearer the
mark.  Which raises the question of how to stop arguments based on
sensitivity turning into a giant roadblock to open data.

What would be helpful is a framework of some sort for thinking through
these issues.  Does such a thing exist?

-Steve

P.S. @Reuben  Thanks for sharing Kieran O'Hara's report, extremely
accessible and full of practical suggestions.  It is a great follow-up to
Paul Ohm's Broken Promises... paper.

--
Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046