[MyData & Open Data] Workshop on June 10 & 11

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Tue Apr 1 01:05:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 09:26:01PM +0100, Mark L wrote:
> I agree with Javier view and think that this a great topic for OKfest in Berlin.
>
> What can we do, and encourage others to do ?

first there must be clear red lines. stuff that is untouchable by default (no
consent by default), the dividing line being: only data subjects that hold
privileges over other data subjects are to be made public to the subjects they
are having control over, the amount of transparency depends on the privilege
level, this data should be according to the open data principles, but
initially only available to the data subjects under control of the privileged
one, the same transparency should also apply to companies handling personal
data.

> In fact this is the session we have started to draft. You can see this session discussion here http://pad.okfn.org/p/Privacy_at_OKFestival_14 (session 5)
>
> What will have a real impact?  Subject Access Requests on a massive scale?  (something Casper Bowden and I once discussed)

- privacy-by-default regulation (as in data minimization)
- decentralized storage and control of data by the data subject
- mandatory "datenbrief"
- fines for data leaks should be much higher, like the EC proposed.

would be a nice start.

> I am sure there are many ways to apply rights in the digital age.

the problem is they're not very much enforced.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt