[MyData & Open Data] existing legal frameworks of biometrics

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:05:39 UTC 2014

On the contrary.  When your friend takes a picture of you, we have no
problem agreeing that personal data is involved and that we need to treat
it with care without having to immediately resolve whether it is your
friend's data or your data that is at stake.  Personal data is data that
distinguishes one person from another in any form.  Under the definitions
at http://personal-data.okfn.org/ I would include both My Data and
Transformed Data under the umbrella of personal data.  As privacy
researcher Arvind Narayanan has pointed out [1], "any information that
distinguishes one person from another can be used for re-identifying anon
data".

Kind regards... Steve

[1]
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-big-data-marketing-becomes-stalking/

On 4 April 2014 10:29, Sally Deffor <sally.deffor at okfn.org> wrote:

> Personally, I think my data is intended to be a less-technical alternative
> to personal data, especially if the intent is to engage with the wider
> public/community. When I see it been used in any particular context, I
> immediately find myself wondering if it's referring to any of the number of
> tools or schemes so-named, or if it's used in the broad understanding of
> the concept (of personal data), which can be confusing.
>

> On 4 April 2014 14:15, Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl>wrote:
>
>> On 04/04/2014 14:39, Song, Stephen wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I also think that "personal data" is a better term.   "my data"
>> > carries the baggage of ownership which is clear in some cases but less
>> > so in others.  FWIW, I quite like the structure that the Open Data
>> > report commissioned by the UK Research Councils comes up with.  See
>> > the full report at http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/Publications/policy/OpenData/
>> > (page 43)
>>
>> Agree on the property issue. Personally I'm a bit partial to data-shadow
>> or digital shadow. Because that explains much better what personal data
>> is than the term itself does.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>  Walter

> *Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
> | @SDeffor | +44 (0)7774 734206 <%2B44%20%280%297774%20734206> The **Open
> Knowledge Foundation* <http://okfn.org/>
>

> *Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*<http://www.okfn.org/>*
> | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on Facebook*<http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>*