[MyData & Open Data] public bike data

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Fri Apr 11 10:02:27 UTC 2014

That was a fascinating read. In my mind, it is analysis such as this that
make the questions we are raising on this forum not only relevant but
timely. The guiding principles for opening data to manage privacy risks (as
we would most likely call it) if followed could sufficiently address most
of the issues in this article. For example, an easily- rectifiable solution
of omitting customer record numbers could substantially increase the
security of the data, and this could be explicitly stated in the
principles. Another issue raised is the fact that a "fair bit of effort is
required to actually unearth the specific individuals", now the principles
could for example establish that beyond a certain level of enquiry into the
datasets, the individual (interacting with the data) crosses moral grounds,
and as he rightly stated, it was beginning to get uncomfortable with
thepersonal nature of the scrutiny.

Unfortunately, the principles will only be targeting data publishers and
not the general public.

Sally

On 11 April 2014 00:31, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> http://vartree.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/i-know-where-you-were-last-summer.html
> > This article is about a publicly available dataset of bicycle journey
> data
> > that contains enough information to track the movements of individual
> > cyclists across London, for a six month period just over a year ago.
>
> --
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
Foundation*<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*<http://www.okfn.org/>*
Facebook*<http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>*
| **Blog* <http://blog.okfn.org/>* |