[MyData & Open Data] Open Notice --> Re: Another public data uproar in the UK

Mark L mark.lizar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:58:25 UTC 2014

HI Walter,

I realise that my response to your question about P3P and Open Notice was very short and not very useful.  Now that I have had some time to think about it I want to  give a better explanation an invite you (and those interested) to engage the issue.

The intention of the Open Notice consent receipt project proposed for the Knight News Foundation grant is to open up and standardise the consent controls through a standardised notice structure we are calling (at this time) the consent receipt.

The core concept of a consent receipt is really about meeting and exceeding the core legal requirements for consent specific notices so that consent is not only informed but , consistent, clear for businesses, meaningful for people, human centric, and value driven.

The underlying hypothesis is; if people controlled their own data then this not only alleviates the privacy and security issues that people have but  opens a market for personalisation and interaction that will completely transform our ability to communicate through granular information exchanges.

A consent receipt is intended to address the broken and unusable policy structure by first bringing standard transparency over personal data control, it is also a vehicle for delivering protocols, trust frameworks, privacy icons, and even the advertisement of consent options directly to the individual.

In terms of P3P, a consent receipt is a record of preferences and policies, that is provided to the internet service user.  These records can data mined for consent preferences, then translated into P3P and used to configure preferences, present intelligent reports and display privacy icons/short notices.

All in all, what we are working on is intended to be a foundation for other efforts to develop with by opening the and making standard the format of the data which controls consent (what we call notice).  This we hope will be the catalyst for Personal Data Technology and attribute exchange in the market.

Of course we need funding and this is really just the beginning.  For adoption, we hope as a compliance solution it will become mandatory, and as a personal data control solution it will become immeasurable valuable.  Being useful for people to control how their data is opened and used in the Big Data future.

Thanks for the question,

Mark