[MyData & Open Data] What do you think the Open Data & Privacy project should work on?

Mark L mark.lizar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:19:21 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Related to this topic. We have finally been able to get a Fringe "Open Data Control" Hackathon Event location organised for Berlin, San Francisco and Tel Aviv, and we hope to put some light on this topic.

In regards to this thread,  the Open Notice Initiative has a project that aims to open the common legal consent requirements across jurisdictions. Called a Consent Receipt - Right now these controls exist in closed Privacy Policies and legal process.  Even though by law privacy policies are required to be as open as possible.

Privacy policies are closed because the notice requirements and the data controls related to consent are in custom privacy policies with no common format preventing the use and openness of these privacy policies.    This result is we have to read each providers policies, respond individual to maintain data controls. Which is operational impossible.

To address this we are working on a standard consent receipt format and we aim to have this as a hack project in July.

As well, for those of you who are activists we are looking to create a web form that people can use to request the status of their consent and can request a withdrawal of consent (if status is no longer valid).  This will aim to inform the effort and raise awareness about the ability for people to control and open their own data.

At the moment we feel there is a tremendous lack of usable and open data controls for personal information at this time.  People lie when they consent to policies (The Biggest Lie) and as a result our data control is effectively kidnapped by orgs and our ability to control our own data is limited.

All feedback, sponsorship and participation welcome.

Best Regards,

Mark