[MyData & Open Data] What do you think the Open Data & Privacy project should work on?

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Mon Jun 9 20:01:55 UTC 2014

Thanks all! Definitely not too late. I am sure quite a bit of the
discussion will touch on some of these issues, as some of them (though not
worded quite like this) appear in the workshop reader/primer.

Sally

On Monday, 9 June 2014, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> howdy,
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 02:54:14PM +0100, Laura James wrote:
> > *Hi everyone, As you may know, Open Knowledge and the Open Rights Group
> > have a joint project, funded by OSF, to explore Open Data & Privacy
> issues.
> > This is an area where we (and others!) are still figuring out the space,
> so
> > it's fairly broad in remit. A one-liner about the project might
> > be: Exploring the issues around the opening up of data where there may be
> > elements of personal information involved*
> >
> > *Now, this isn't a huge project, but we'd love to know what you - the
> > MyData & OpenData working group - think we should do. There will be
> > discussions about this next week at a workshop we're holding in London,
> but
> > it would be great to hear from folks on list about what you think we
> might
> > focus on, and what you think might be useful outputs. Thanks all,Laura*
>
> i went through the list archives, and collected these unedited bits of
> ideas over the course of the existence of the mailing-list.
>
> most importantly:
> > define red lines, what is data that should be protected on privacy
> grounds,
> > and which classes of knowledge belong to the open knowledge realm? i
> expect
> > there will be a lot of interesting corner-cases at the border between
> these
> > two categories. in case of doubt, privacy trumps and dataminimization
> should
> > be recommended.
> >
> > how much is personal data worth, on the market, for private persons, for
> > society? economic cost/benefit analysis costs/benefit analysis of
> > surrendering privacy on an individual level and society level.
> >
> > how are privacy protections defeated today (aggregation,
> opt-out-by-default,
> > singling-out, deanon, predictive behavioural analytics, etc), how is
> > personal data abused today?
> >
> > in the context of open knowlegde (a beautiful term mixing up various
> > concepts) what are the areas covered exactly, (non)copyrighted stuff in
> > general, data and knowledge that should be in the public domain, data
> funded
> > by public money, etc. what are the ethical considerations in each
> specific
> > category? (consider human rights in general, like right to privacy,
> access
> > to knowledge, etc) also clearly separate the question of ownership and
> > contain it to the cases where it makes sense.
> >
> > how to avoid censorship of legitimate open/public knowledge like in the
> > google right to be forgotten case?
>
> sorry if it's a bit late, i hope it helps though.

> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*