[MyData & Open Data] New study makes a business case for open data

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Tue Jun 24 10:19:57 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,
+ 1 on the need for preciseness around the term 'open'..I think this is
something that the proposed manifesto could address to an extent
(discussions on okfn-discuss).

On 23 June 2014 11:51, Song, Stephen <stephen.song at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 June 2014 07:05, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:25:34AM +0100, Sally Deffor wrote:
>> > A new study  report
>> > <
>> http://www.omidyar.com/sites/default/files/file_archive/insights/ON%20Report_061114_FNL.pdf
>> >by
>> > the Omidyar Network *Open for Business, *makes an economic case for open
>> > data. It is cited as "the first study to quantify and illustrate the
>> > potential of Open Data to help achieve the G20’s economic growth
>> target".
>>
>> the scope is interesting and quite broad:
>>
>> > Open data embraces a number of data sources and types:
>> >
>> > • Government data, or public sector information (PSI) is central. It
>> includes
>> > all data collected or funded by government agencies at all levels (e.g.
>> > national statistics, operational data from service delivery).
>> >
>> > • Research or science data, especially from publicly funded research. A
>> > high-profile example of open science data is the Human Genome Project,
>> but
>> > much day-to-day research data remains hidden from view.
>> >
>> > • Private sector data (e.g. seismic data from mineral exploration)
>> that, with
>> > appropriate incentives and privacy protections, may be released.
>>
>> and i believe this is the crux:
>>
>> > The estimates in the report presume strong and effective privacy
>> safeguards.
>>
>> nothing more, only presumptions. the costs of this, and the costs of
>> incidents
>> is not calculated into the whole picture and makes this a biased opinion
>> feeding the interests of the kraaken industry of silicon valley.
>>

> Some more grist for the mill
>
> On Taxis and Rainbows:  Lessons from NYC’s improperly anonymized taxi logs
> https://medium.com/@vijayp/f6bc289679a1
>
> I think the story above highlights the danger in reports like this one.
>  When you say "estimates in the report presume strong and effective privacy
> safeguards", you are *presuming* a great deal.  In the mean time there is
> no undoing a privacy breach.
>
> Slightly tangentially, it is discussions like these that make me want to
> provoke more of a discussion about the word "open".
> https://manypossibilities.net/2014/06/the-morality-of-openness/
>
> -Steve

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
| @SDeffor | +44 (0)7774 734206 The **Open Knowledge Foundation*
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*
<http://blog.okfn.org/>* | **Newsletter <http://okfn.org/?s=Newsletter>*

*Have you bought your tickets <http://2014.okfestival.org/tickets/> to
OKFestival yet? Join us in Berlin in July (15-17)!*
*See you at OKFestival <http://2014.okfestival.org/> 15-17 July 2014*