[MyData & Open Data] Swedish Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board scrutinizes Google cloud services to host students data

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Thu Mar 6 09:22:49 UTC 2014

Hi Mattias,
Thanks for the links to the stories. I did read about the French (as
Lancelot posted below), but not the about what happened in Sweden. I
thought it would be particularly interesting to see, (with the Swedish
Personal Data Act being 15yrs), whether any special principles have been
included/changed that take account of third party access in relation to
opening up personal data.

Best,
Sally

On 5 March 2014 19:23, Mattias <mattias at okfn.se> wrote:

>  Hello MyData-list,
>
> Something similar to what Lancelot posted happens in Sweden. The
> equivalent to the  Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board
> (Datainspektionen) are scrutinizing the use of Google Apps for Education in
> public schools. Because of conflict with privacy law.
>
> This is not the first time that the Oversight Board says no to Google
> Apps. it's been highlighted in other cases, reported by IT-media globally
> before.
>
> Best regards,
> Mattias
> OKFN Sweden
> Community Manager
>
> This case: (Swedish)
> http://www.datainspektionen.se/press/nyheter/2014/datainspektionen-granskar-malmo-skolors-molntjanster/
>
> Earlier examples (EN):
> http://www.thelocal.se/20130917/50288
> http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/06/14/sweden-google-data-protection/
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/sweden-tells-council-to-stop-using-google-apps-7000016850/
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9239931/Swedish_regulator_rejects_city_s_Google_Apps_deal
> (SV)
>
> http://www.datainspektionen.se/Documents/beslut/2011-09-30-salems-kommun.pdf
>
> http://www.datainspektionen.se/press/nyheter/2013/fortsatt-nej-for-kommun-att-anvanda-molntjanst/
>

> On 08/02/14 10:12, Lancelot PECQUET wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Interesting news in France: Google was fined by the "Commission Nationale
> Informatique & Libertés"
> (French equivalent of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board)
> but, more interestingly, demanded
> to display its sentence on google.fr (cf. attachment), in large fonts.
>
> Best,

>  --
>  Lancelot PECQUET - http://lancelot.pecquet.org - @LancelotPecquet<http://twitter.com/LancelotPecquet>

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
Foundation*<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*<http://www.okfn.org/>*
Facebook*<http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>*
| **Blog* <http://blog.okfn.org/>* |