[MyData & Open Data] Workshop on June 10 & 11

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon Mar 31 16:46:04 UTC 2014

Dear all

I completely agree the UK sticks out within Europe for its disregard to modern freedoms. Besides the issues raised by Stef, the UK also gave you Data Retention and have sabotaged EU data protection measures at every stage.

I would agree with a boycott of the UK in a context where it would have a large impact. If you can get Wikimedia to put out a statement saying that after this year they are not coming back to the UK until we stop mass surveillance that would be different.

We have discussed the location with OKFN and at present they do not have the resources to deal with the logistics of doing it in another country. In practice it is very unlikely that any attendees to such meeting will be stopped at the border or put in immediate danger. But I agree we should not be complacent or dismissive. A few tech activists linked in one way or another to Wikileaks and other projects cannot travel through the UK. This is no tinfoil hat stuff.

ORG is working very closely with OKFN in this project and I will be happy to help Sally deal with any questions. A concept note will be out soon. Apologies if it seems the wrong order, but some people need to book time early and we didn’t want to wait for every detail to be fixed before announcing it.

Best, Javier

--
Javier Ruiz
javier at openrightsgroup.org (mailto:javier at openrightsgroup.org)