[MyData & Open Data] we have a price: 11KEUR/personal medical data

Lancelot PECQUET (Will Strategy) lpecquet at willstrategy.com
Sat May 3 15:03:07 UTC 2014

Hi Mark,

We know that there are wholesale markets (and therefore market price) of
personal
data out there.

Personal data has mostly been used as a commodity so far (and priced as
such, i.e. low),
e.g. for "basic" targeted advertizing but it is *not* a commodity as
soon as organizations
are able to extract more value from it.

Suppose that an insurance company gets full access to the personal data
of its clients. This company can update its risk model, terminate the
contracts
of people with risky profiles (or outrageously increase their price) and
offer the
best price to the "good clients" (whose probability of having an
accident or a
disease is low).

Considering this would provide a very strong competitive advantage +
very high profit,
how much would this company be willing to pay for this dataset? I would
say more
than $0.26 per client (as suggests FT's calculator).

Regarding the toothpaste metaphor, I would not push it as far as you :
some personal
data remain "valuable" for a long period of time (i.e. as long as you are
alive and possibly after if the data also concerns your relatives).

For instance, once the insurance company has learned its client has
diabetes, it can
use this piece of information (and all other data that suggest an
evolution of his/her health
condition) to discriminate him/her (and relatives of course : if an
immediate relative -
parent, brother, sister, son or daughter - has type 1 diabetes, one's
risk of developing
type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population
<http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html>).

As long as people still believe their personal data has little value and
that there is no need
to worry about because they have "nothing to hide", data is being
collected silently,
and irreversibly.