[MyData & Open Data] we have a price: 11KEUR/personal medical data

Rayna rayna.st at gmail.com
Sun May 4 13:19:29 UTC 2014

Speaking of health data, privacy and fake data:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-05/02/urine-analysis-hoax
Which begs for two often overlooked factors to be taken into account:
quantified self and personalized medicine.

Wishing you a sunny Sunday,
Rayna

> Hi Lancelot,
>
> Thanks for your excellent points.
>
> On 3 May 2014, at 16:03, Lancelot PECQUET (Will Strategy) <
> lpecquet at willstrategy.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi Mark,
>
> We know that there are wholesale markets (and therefore market price) of
> personal
> data out there.
>
> Personal data has mostly been used as a commodity so far (and priced as
> such, i.e. low),
> e.g. for "basic" targeted advertizing but it is *not* a commodity as soon
> as organizations
> are able to extract more value from it.
>
> Suppose that an insurance company gets full access to the personal data
> of its clients. This company can update its risk model, terminate the
> contracts
> of people with risky profiles (or outrageously increase their price) and
> offer the
> best price to the "good clients" (whose probability of having an accident
> or a
> disease is low).
>

> In this scenario it appears that insurance companies either illegally get
> access to personal data, or are in need of regulation.
>

> Considering this would provide a very strong competitive advantage + very
> high profit,
> how much would this company be willing to pay for this dataset? I would
> say more
> than $0.26 per client (as suggests FT's calculator).
>
> Regarding the toothpaste metaphor, I would not push it as far as you :
> some personal
> data remain "valuable" for a long period of time (i.e. as long as you are
> alive and possibly after if the data also concerns your relatives).
>

> Yes, there is the sensitive personal information (health data), which is
> protected in every jurisdiction with privacy legislation.  If insurance
> companies use this to increase premiums illegally, they are and I believe
> will be liable for this in the future.
>

> For instance, once the insurance company has learned its client has
> diabetes, it can
> use this piece of information (and all other data that suggest an
> evolution of his/her health
> condition) to discriminate him/her (and relatives of course : if an
> immediate relative -
> parent, brother, sister, son or daughter - has type 1 diabetes, one's risk
> of developing
> type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population<http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html>
> ).
>

> Again, transparency over the data insurance companies use, via subject
> access requests and the like, will make insurance companies liable.
>
> As long as people still believe their personal data has little value and
> that there is no need
> to worry about because they have "nothing to hide", data is being
> collected silently,
> [...]

"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

http://me.hatewasabi.info/