[MyData & Open Data] Rhino privacy

Michelle Brook michelle.brook at okfn.org
Mon May 5 12:19:48 UTC 2014

This, or similar, came up in a workshop I ran a few months ago on open
science in global south/development contexts.

We got into really interesting ethical conversations about the possible
implications of opening up research data when research was being carried
out about animals that might be endangered and of interest to poachers, but
releasing that data may be of value/importance to other researchers.

There are a bunch of other areas where similar questions arise - for
example, the Global Shark Tracker: http://www.ocearch.org/. This freely
available tool allows anyone to see where a number of tagged sharks are -
including Great White Sharks (classified as vulnerable globally and
endangered in certain locations) and Mako sharks (vulnerable - and
considered rather good eating). But is also really interesting for engaging
a wider audience about marine biology, ecology etc.

There was a lot of press coverage about one of the sharks (called 'Lydia')
during March/April,  including at the BBC, Guardian, Independent, Buzzfeed
etc. There was even one person who freely admitted he would try to catch
Lydia:
http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Westcountry-fisherman-plans-catch-Lydia-great/story-20800147-detail/story.html

Michelle

On 4 May 2014 16:57, Song, Stephen <stephen.song at gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting example of unintended consequences of otherwise harmless
> data.  Filing under "its data".  :)
>
> https://twitter.com/Eleni_dW/status/462834064987549696/photo/1
>
> -Steve

*Michelle Brook*