[od-discuss] introduction

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Tue Aug 24 14:55:42 UTC 2010

> On 17 Aug 2010, at 17:46, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>

> I would suggest we develop a *really* simple set of principles which
> lots of bodies can support/sign on to, and mirror it in a bunch of
> places. What do you think? Could also direct folks to other work where
> bar is higher, but good to have consensus on *basic* minimum for open
> gov data...

I think that the Open Definition should always include both attribution and share alike as acceptable restrictions, just as public domain software and GPL software are both Open Source Definition compliant. The Open Definition is larger than open data or open government data.

For government data, I think Jonathan is absolutely right that it's a great idea to have a recommendation within this domain, much like how the Panton Principles operate in science <http://pantonprinciples.org/> on what the best practice is for open government data.

In terms of how that recommendation should be phrased, I think that that attribution is the *maximum* amount of restrictions that can be placed on open government data, and that this standard sets a ceiling and not a floor, i.e. public domain is actively promoted and would meet the recommendation.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM