[od-discuss] UK OGL Compliant?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Thu Jan 5 00:16:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Herb Lainchbury
<herb at dynamic-solutions.com> wrote:
> "Your proposed clause concerns *license* conditions; it disallows
> licenses with ones not explicitly permitted by the OKD."
>
> Agreed.
>

> "You may think open licenses ought include conditions prohibiting DRM,
> in which case OKD ought to explicitly say such conditions permitted in
> compliant licenses."
>
> No.  I agree with you, point 4 covers it.

But I don't agree -- point 4 does not say a compliant license may
restrict technical restrictions. It says that a work may not have
technical restrictions.

If a there's appetite for it, I think breaking OKD into sections
regarding requirements for works and for licenses might make it easier
to read. Smaller edit along those lines would be to bold defined terms
"work", "license", "package" wherever they appear to call out what a
specific point it talking about more strongly.

> "For a *work* to be open, OKD addresses this in point 4, abcense of
> technical restrictions. Possibly DRM should be mentioned in the text
> for readability and optimization (ha, but seriously), but the
> substance doesn't need changing."
>
> Agreed.
>
> This makes sense to me.

Are you sure? :)