[od-discuss] Schema for open licenses

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Mon Jun 18 17:33:50 UTC 2012

Hi Kent,

Great idea.

I am not sure if your "indemnity" clause covers this but I would like to
see something in the schema to describe rights clearing.

When data is published by a party (say a government body) that, as it turns
out later on, does not have the right to do so, and someone takes that data
in good faith and builds a company around it, what happens?

Who is responsible for making sure the publisher has the right to publish
the data?  Some licenses shift the responsibility to the consumer ("if it
turns out this isn't ours, we never licensed it to you in the first
place").  Other licenses put the responsibility on the publisher ("If you
are publishing under this license, make sure you have the right to do so,
as this is irrevocable").

As the publisher holds the data and is the only one involved in any 3rd
party rights, they are the only ones equipped to assess whether or not they
have the right to publish the data.  Shifting that to the consumer is
shifting a lot of risk to the person least able to make the judgement.

While keeping the responsibility with the publisher doesn't change the fact
that a 3rd party may in fact have rights, I think it gives the consumer,
who uses the data in good faith a reason to believe that the publisher has
done their homework.

For this reason, I feel that licenses that put the responsibility on the
publisher ( such as PDDL ) are superior to licenses that
simply relinquish rights ( such as CC0 and CC-by ) for the purposes of
publishing open data.

If that makes sense, maybe there is room in your schema for some way to
capture this idea of rights clearing.

Herb

Herb Lainchbury
Dynamic Solutions Inc.