[od-discuss] Schema for open licenses

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Wed Jun 20 17:28:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Herb Lainchbury
<herb at dynamic-solutions.com> wrote:
> For this reason, I feel that licenses that put the responsibility on the
> publisher ( such as PDDL ) are superior to licenses that
> simply relinquish rights ( such as CC0 and CC-by ) for the purposes of
> publishing open data.

Could you point out where PDDL puts responsibility on the publisher
for clearing rights? AFAICT it is just less explicit than CC0 (but not
CC-BY* > 1.0) about disclaiming responsibility. They all disclaim
warranty of title. CC0 adds an explicit disclaimer of responsibility
for clearing third party rights.

CC-*-1.0 are the only licenses I know of that actually put
responsibility on the licensor, see
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode 5(a)(i). This
was dropped in subsequent versions as people didn't want to incur
additional risk when sharing, see discussion at
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4216 and