[od-discuss] Schema for open licenses

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Jun 20 18:12:22 UTC 2012

Apologies, in trying to express the concept, perhaps "put responsibility on
the publisher" is wrong on my part.  The section I was referring to is at
the bottom of "THE LICENSE" section of PDDL where it states:
"This document permanently and irrevocably makes the Work available to the
public for any use of any kind, and it should not be used unless the
rightsholder is prepared for this to happen."

On review I see CC0 has a somewhat similar (but perhaps less ominous?)
clause:
"You should only apply CC0 to your own work, unless you have the necessary
rights to apply CC0 to another person’s work."

I don't know if these are equivalent or if in fact PDDL is shifting
responsibility.

I was not aware of this aspect of the CC-*-1.0.  That's exactly what I am
talking about.

As a consumer of data I think it's valuable and would like to see the
concept captured in the metadata, with CC-*-1.0 being one that is
explicitly satisfying the condition and I am not sure which others would,
but I assume there would be a process by which that could be determined.

--
Herb Lainchbury
Dynamic Solutions Inc.