[od-discuss] Open Data Buttons

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 8 19:10:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Laura Newman <laura.newman at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently been asked what the precise legal situation is with our
> Open Data / Open Content / Open Knowledge buttons. Do they imply CC-BY?
> CC-BY-SA? Or are they non-specific?
>
> For example, if someone were to publish a CC-BY article and include an
> image with one of our buttons inserted in the bottom corner, what precisely
> would that mean? In what way would that be different from displaying a
> Creative Commons logo?

We had some of this discussion during the Panton Principles. John Wilbanks
was clear that a button was not enough - we had to have a licence. My take
would be that a button implied that you should inspect the document for a
licence. I'm assuming that the standard CC phrase like:

Except where otherwise noted<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/policies#license>,
content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>.

is sufficient

> Thanks for your input,
> Laura