[od-discuss] Open Data Buttons

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sat Mar 31 16:09:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Good point Mike. Would you be up for a proposing a succinct sentence
>> plus paragraph we could add to that page to make this clearer?
>
> How about under "To add an open knowledge button to your page:"
>
> 0. [required] Make sure you have added notice that your work is
> released under an <a href="/licenses">OKD-compliant license</a> --
> that it is actually open. You must not add an Open Knowledge button
> otherwise. For example, if you are using CC-BY-3.0, the following:
> <code>The content of this site is released under a <a rel="license"
> href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/">Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 License</a>.</code>
>
>>> Also, it appears the OKD site is not itself OK. It really ought to
>>> additionally be an OSS, but I see no evidence of such.
>>
>> Ah the curse of changing themes in wordpress -- all your footer
>> widgets go walkabout.
>>
>> Now restored and hence now O(K)D-compliant. It is in fact an Open
>> Software Service since the site runs on wordpress ...
>
> What about the modified themes? A link to a source repository would
> make it unambiguous.

I bring this thread up again as I just noticed http://annotateit.org
(which looks like a great OKF project). The footer includes the open
content button, but there's no license that makes it open content.

(Happy to see OSSD button there as well, and link to source, though I
don't really understand the point of GPL/MIT dual licensing. But
nevermind about that!)