[od-discuss] Open Data Buttons

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Fri Mar 9 18:00:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Good point Mike. Would you be up for a proposing a succinct sentence
> plus paragraph we could add to that page to make this clearer?

How about under "To add an open knowledge button to your page:"

0. [required] Make sure you have added notice that your work is
released under an <a href="/licenses">OKD-compliant license</a> --
that it is actually open. You must not add an Open Knowledge button
otherwise. For example, if you are using CC-BY-3.0, the following:
<code>The content of this site is released under a <a rel="license"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/">Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License</a>.</code>

>> Also, it appears the OKD site is not itself OK. It really ought to
>> additionally be an OSS, but I see no evidence of such.
>
> Ah the curse of changing themes in wordpress -- all your footer
> widgets go walkabout.
>
> Now restored and hence now O(K)D-compliant. It is in fact an Open
> Software Service since the site runs on wordpress ...

What about the modified themes? A link to a source repository would
make it unambiguous.