[od-discuss] A Chair for the Open Definition Advisory Council

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri Nov 2 21:54:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> I think our recent meetings have been very useful and there is an
> increasingly important role for the Advisory Council in reviewing the
> growing number of "open" licenses especially those associated with
> open government data projects.
>
> I think it would be useful at this point to explicitly designate a
> "Chair" (and possibly "secretary") of the AC who can help coordinate
> and chair meetings etc.
>
> I'd also like to make a specific proposal here and nominate Mike
> Linksvayer as a chair of the Advisory Council :-) (with this to run
> for an initial 12 months, say - so Mike doesn't feel indefinitely
> committed!).
>
> What do my fellow AC members think?

I'd be happy to do this, especially with a 12 month limit. :)

I agree with those who've said that we should review who is on the AC.
After people who no longer have time leave we might think about adding
a few people, perhaps from somewhere other than the US and UK. I think
if we want governments and institutions worldwide to take the OKD (and
OSSD ;-)) to heart we should pay attention to such things.

In any event, I will soon send a belated and promised followup on OKD
edits and a couple licenses discussed the last calls.

Also of general interest to AC members and followers, Richard Fontana
has recently presented some criticism of the Open Source Definition
(which the OKD is based upon) and associated license approval process.
I have quibbles with most of what he says, but it is all good food for
thought if we're to improve. See http://faif.us/cast/2012/oct/10/0x33/