[od-discuss] Exploring licence compatibility

Leigh Dodds leigh at ldodds.com
Tue Aug 13 16:05:18 UTC 2013

Hi Kent,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:
> Nice work! CIPPIC's also been doing some work in this area. Our articling
> student just finished a Compatibility Report on open data licenses. It's not
> quite ready for release, but we should definitely compare notes when it's
> done.

That would be great, I'd be really interested to see that.

> I ran the same licenses in your one-way compatibility chart through the
> CLIPol algorithms, as per the matrices in the attached screenshot. We're
> pretty darn close to each other's results, but there are a couple of
> differences:

I'm not familiar with CLIPol, can you give me some pointers? Are the
tools you're using available online?

>  - CC-BY -> ODC-BY, ODC-ODbL and OGL2: I have these as incompatible due to
> CC-BY prohibiting TPMs. This is for CC-BY-3.0 though; CC-BY-4.0 won't have
> this restriction and thus will be compatible.

TPMs is something that I hadn't considered. I ought to add a
qualification about this, plus the difference between the 3.0/4.0
licences.

I didn't expand the matrix to include all versions as I thought it
would be too complex, although I can see now how that might be useful.

>  - OGL2 -> CC-BY-ND and CC-BY-NC-ND: I actually have these as compatible.
> What were the reasons you found them not?

That's a mixtake. I've changed my table on simple derivatives (Table
2) to indicate that is allowed.

I'll update the rest of the document this week. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds