[od-discuss] Exploring licence compatibility

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Aug 13 20:09:16 UTC 2013

On 13/08/13 12:39 PM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't think latter is the case. It is improved
> (especially, but orthogonally, in permitting circumvention when
> possible), but if this is a compatibility barrier, it is still there.
> Parallel distribution would've removed problem for ODbL, but so far
> has again been not taken

Parallel distribution could still be a problem if we imagine a scenario
in which a "flexible" DRM system allows derivatives to be created as
long as they are kept under DRM control.

Imagine that work A is under a permissive license but has DRM applied
and Work B is under a parallel distribution license and does not.

If we wish to combine work A with work B then we cannot, as we cannot
create a derivative work without DRM applied in order to satisfy the
parallel distribution clause.