[od-discuss] Exploring licence compatibility

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sat Aug 24 17:01:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Leigh Dodds <leigh at ldodds.com> wrote:
> I'd welcome any feedback that the group might have. I've tried to pull
> together existing material and present it in a way that highlights the
> important use cases. Hopefully I've not included any factual errors,
> if I have then please let me know!
>
> Clearly there's a lot of nuances around this topic, but I hope that by
> focusing on some individual use cases -- specifically, creating simple
> derivatives from single sources and remixes of multiple sources --
> that this could be a useful resource for people looking to create
> derived datasets.

Hi, Leigh-

I'm biased, since you cited my article extensively, but I think your
framework is basically sound. As others have pointed out, there are
some pitfalls here (e.g., the sad problem of the under-recognized CC
anti-TPM clause), that really require an almost line-by-line analysis
if you want what I called "implicit" compatibility between copylefts-
it might make sense to call that out.

We were just discussing this issue at the Creative Commons summit; I
have urged CC to issue some guidelines on the question as well, and I
hope they'll take a look at your piece.

Luis