[od-discuss] OD addendum proposal for dealing with ambiguous license exemptions

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sat Aug 24 18:25:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:
> 1. Access
> The work shall be available as a whole and at no more than a reasonable
> reproduction cost, preferably downloading via the Internet without charge.
> The work must also be available in a convenient and modifiable form. The
> work must be clearly presented as available under the license.
>
> Comment: This can be summarized as ‘social’ openness – not only are you
> allowed to get the work but you can get it. ‘As a whole’ prevents the
> limitation of access by indirect means, for example by only allowing access
> to a few items of a database at a time (material should be available in bulk
> as necessary). Convenient and modifiable means that material should be
> machine readable (rather than, for example, just human readable).  'Clearly
> presented as available' means that both the license and the means of access
> are clear and unambiguous on which works the rights attach to.

Still very experimental, but I did this here:
https://github.com/tieguy/opendefinition/commit/555f5415166472a24cb13ccb7c6e1f94194e62e0#source/open-definition-1.1/open-definition-1.1.en.markdown

Note that I simply incorporated the "comment" language directly into
the requirement, and added a "no conflicting terms" requirement.

Luis