[od-discuss] Questions about attribution requirements in OS and English Heritage data

Leigh Dodds leigh at ldodds.com
Tue Aug 13 16:12:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:
> I find it very odd that these two licences include an attribution obligation
> on any sub-licences, but the licences don't anywhere actually grant you any
> such right to sublicence.  I suspect the drafters may have been confused
> about sub-licencing versus releasing derivative works, which is a common
> mistake in the open licencing.

That's the conclusion I've been coming to as well.

Has there been any attempt to assess the OS OpenData licence against
the open definition?

If there are issues with the licence, then it would be useful to flag
them up to encourage the OS to change. I'm concerned that English
Heritage have basically copied the OS style of licensing as this could
lead to other public sector agencies doing the same thing.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds