[od-discuss] Legal assistance request: help to lobby a UK funder to transform a mandated CC-BY-NC to CC-BY

Ant Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:12:46 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Jonathan Gray suggested I post my request here.

We, at the working group on open data in archaeology, would like to
influence the Heritage Lottery Fund to change their data licence from
CC-BY-NC to CC-BY to stop data fragmentation. You can see our discussion
thread here:

I have pulled together a document that sets out the arguments which you
can find here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nw8kwSYdcLgf_QFo5sugRgrwtDtYZomeJ4Sh9T-T46Y/edit?usp=sharing

The aim is to hold a stakeholder workshop (under the auspices of HLF -
although funding has to be sorted out) to debate the impact of NC on the
re-use landscape. Outcomes from this workshop can be used to influence
HLF and other funders throughout the UK and beyond.

My concern is that I would like the statements in the document
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nw8kwSYdcLgf_QFo5sugRgrwtDtYZomeJ4Sh9T-T46Y/edit?usp=sharing)
to be legally factual. It would somewhat undermine the case if any of
these are wrong.

Can you provide any help? If so what should I do?

Best

Ant