[od-discuss] O[K]D?

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Feb 12 03:23:01 UTC 2013

AFAICT, throughout its history, the OKD has been called the OKD, eg
http://blog.okfn.org/2005/10/19/open-knowledge-definition-released/

Except on the document itself http://opendefinition.org/okd/ (current
version anyway) and a few other places on the opendefinition.org site,
such as the "in your language" sidebar, where it is called "Open
Definition".

I changed the places I found on the site to OKD sometime in the past
couple months, but it looks like they're back. Also looks like the
overall OKF theme may have been upgraded (looks nice), maybe there's a
correlation (I mean, causation, but such is common language).

Anyway, we should discuss this. I like consistent use of OKD and Open
Knowledge Definition spelled out; it's consistent, accurate, and ties
in nicely with OKF; great branding in my opinion. And OD/Open
Definition is somewhere between generic and imperialist. I have
daydreamed about a meta open definition, which would try to capture
the spirit of Open even when people try to apply the term to things
that aren't fixed (knowledge, software) but also processes and
relations (organizations, society...). This is probably not the right
venue or time, but it a do-ocracy to an extent if anyone wishes to
try. :)

OpenDefinition.org and the OD AC make more sense as depending on what
one counts, there are anywhere from 1 to 5 open definitions under the
project, there could be others in the future, and it occurs to me that
a direction for the site would be to prominently provide pointers to
Open in domains outside our core expertise (Open Source being most
obvious).

The 5 are:

Unquestionably, http://opendefinition.org/okd/

Hidden (also seems to be recent; I didn't) and possibly subject to
retirement or handing off, http://opendefinition.org/software-service/

Domain-specific, that simply refer to the OKD (last a bit more complicated):
http://opendefinition.org/bibliographic/
http://opendefinition.org/government/
http://opendefinition.org/science/

I'd like to arrive at a specific decision on consistent OKD naming (or
re-naming). Maybe that will be easy.

Queued up for discussion (but feel free to now), probably also on an
upcoming telecon, to be scheduled:
* Open Software Service Definition disposition
* Our strategy for domain-specific further definitions/explanations
* Our strategy for highlighting/recommending complementary Open
definitions (software, standards?)