[od-discuss] a clause to achieve compatibility

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Tue Feb 5 08:44:25 UTC 2013

I agree that dual-licensing (or multi-licensing) would be a step further
and would certainly be ideal. However, as least for the Government of
Canada, I don't think it's a possibility this round; hopefully in the
future.

The problem I see with relying on implicit compatibility ("whittling
down the problematic terms", as Mike says) is that it leaves a large
degree of legal uncertainty.  This is especially a concern where a
licencee combines multiple licences -- and these can quite easily number
10 or more different licences when it comes to data.  Faced with this
scenario, many users might simply combine the works and take the word of
the supplier lawyers and others that the licences are indeed
compatible.  This means that the user is taking on quite a bit of legal
risk.  Then, for institutional and business users, the word of others
isn't going to cut it.  The in-house lawyers will have to go through
each licence and assess it at great expense.  When it comes to more than
two licences, the end conclusion is always likely to be that there are
some ambiguities and therefore legal uncertainly and legal risk.

I do think an explicit right to sublicence under CC-BY is much more
certain than a general right to sublicence.  The explicit right makes it
clear that the user is authorized to licence the work specifically under
CC-BY.  As for a general right to sublicence, this seems like new ground
and very ambiguous: I can't think of a single common open licence that
grants one, so it seems far from clear what it implies (if anyone knows
of existing open licences that make this grant, please let me know).  In
private commercial licences, the sublicense clause is usually
accompanied by specifics that set out details such as whether any
royalties still must be paid for downstreaming licencing, whether the
sublicence includes a further right of sublicence, etc.

Granted, permissive licences such as BSD have done fine without explicit
sublicensing clauses.  However, BSD is also only 2-3 three clauses long
and I don't see governments getting their terms whittled down this much
at the present time.  Moreover, I would argue that a explicit right to
sublicence is even broader and easier to deal with. For example, let's
say I combine a BSD-licenced work with a CC-BY work, then make some
modifications.  We get:
   [CC-BY portion] -> [Still under CC-BY licence]
   [BSD-licensed portion] -> [Still under BSD licence]
   [My changes] -> [Under a compatible Licence C of my choosing]

Thus, the derivative work is actually under three licences and
downstream users must comply with the terms of ALL three licences (there
just aren't many terms wrt to BSD, so it's easy enough to do and you can
safely ignore the fact that it's even still under BSD).  On the other
hand, let's say the "OGL-C Hypothetical" includes a right to sublicence
under CC-BY and I combine the two. We get:
   [CC-BY portion] -> [Still under CC-BY]
   [OGL-C H portion] -> [*Now licensed under CC-BY to downstream users*]
   [My changes] -> [Under a compatible Licence C of my choosing]

If I choose CC-BY for my changes, the whole derivative work is now under
CC-BY, rather than under two or three different licences in the
non-sublicencing case.  This is easier, IMO, especially when we're
talking about five, six or ten licences rather than two.

Now, of course, if a non-specific sublicencing clause also allows me to
do the same, so much the better.  I'm just a bit uneasy without some
case law, or at least a existing widely-used open licence, that backs-up
the ability to do so.  I'd loved to be pointed out to such as thing and
proved naive though!

Kent