[od-discuss] OGL-Canada proposal feedback from the Open Definition Advisory Council

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Feb 6 16:20:18 UTC 2013

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your note.

The rationale for moving the "ensure that you do not use the Information in
a way that suggests any official status..." out of the "You must" section
of the license is to basically change it from a condition of the license to
a reminder of laws that already exist.

I see now that putting it in the exemptions area might not be the best
choice either.

I wonder if there is a way to have the reminder be there but have it not be
worded as a condition.  If you can make it say simply that the license is
not granting official status - i.e. it's highlighting that it's not
granting something, then it would meet the open definition.   The way it is
now, it says we are granting something (right to use) but only under the
condition that you do not use it in a way that suggests official status.
 That condition is what makes it not open.

Just as you reference Canada's Privacy Act rather than reiterate the
definition, it's cleaner from a consumer perspective that the existing laws
about impersonating or misrepresenting the government of Canada be allowed
to do their job.

Maybe it's as simple as adding another heading just as you have done with
"No warranty".

You could say:

*No Official Status or Endorsement*
This Licence does not grant you any right to use the Information in a way
that suggests any official status or that the Information Provider endorses
you or your use of the Information.

I think this would both allow it to meet the open definition and satisfy
what you are intending.

Thank you very much for your work and for your attention to this concern.

Herb Lainchbury

Herb Lainchbury
Dynamic Solutions Inc.
www.dynamic-solutions.com