[od-discuss] OGL-Alberta v2.0 and OGL-BC v2.0 conformance decision time

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Sun Jul 14 08:29:54 UTC 2013

The OGL-BC excludes all information not accessible under FIPPA?! This
excludes materials such as:
  - "a record that is available for purchase by the public" (s. 3(1j))
  - "a record of a question that is to be used on an examination or
test" (s. 3(1d))
  - "a record containing teaching materials or research information of
[post secondary institutions]" (s. 3(1e) )

I hope this a correctable drafting oversight that should at the very
least read "not accessible under Sections 12 to 22.1 of the Freedom of
Information and Protection of Privacy Act".  These are the sections
excepting personal information and information that could be considered
harmful to the government.  However, even this would still
problematically exempt (depending on the discretion of a government
department to choose to exempt such information):

  - "information that would reveal advice or recommendations developed
by or for a public body or a minister" (s. 13(1))
  - "[information which could be reasonable expected to] harm the
conduct by the government of British Columbia of relations between that
government and [other Canadian government bodies]" (s. 16(1)(a))
  - "information the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to
harm the financial or economic interests of a public body or the
government of British Columbia" (s. 17(1))
  - "that must be published or released to the public under an
enactment" (s. 20(1)(2))
  - and much more!

IMO, such provisions which make exemptions based on whether the work
"can reasonable be expected to harm" the licensor boil down to another
form of use restriction  -- these clauses only make this restriction at
the source source instead, and any particular type of downstream use is
going to post-facto affect whether it could have been "expected to harm"
in the first place.  Thus, I suggest the OGL-BC is no non-compliant
because it discriminates based on field of endevour.

The extra provision in the Alberta OGL could be worded better to make it
clear it's not trying to the same thing as the BC licence -- but I don't
see anything particularly problematic and would suggest it's compliant.

Kent