[od-discuss] OGL-Alberta v2.0 and OGL-BC v2.0 conformance decision time

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Sun Jul 14 16:18:41 UTC 2013

I'm broadly with Kent.

The UK OGL 2.0 has an exemption for "information that has neither been
published nor disclosed under information access legislation (including the
Freedom of Information Acts for the UK and Scotland) by or with the consent
of the Information Provider;".  As far as I can see the policy intent is to
exempt from the licence information which has been leaked or stolen.  It is
important to have the neither-nor construct because as a matter of policy
the UK has published information which had previously been refused under the
FOI Act, and in addition information which has been published is not
actually accessible under the UK-FOI.  Moreover the UK needs a broad
reference to "information access legislation" since there are rights to
information under not only the FOI Act but also under the Environmental
Protection Regulations and other legislation.

I'm not happy with the Alberta version because it could exclude published
information if that information was not accessible under applicable laws;
that makes it more difficult for users to establish that they have Open
rights to published information.  It would be better to use the UK
neither-nor of publication and accessibility.

Regards

Andrew