[od-discuss] Italian Open Data licenses

Alessio Dragoni alessio.dragoni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:30:58 UTC 2013

Hello Mike,

the same comments apply to both the licenses
as they are very, very similar..

 1. State the rationale for the new license.
    ---
       the license make it easier for Italian government organizations
       to adopt it as it include references to the Italian law
    provisions about
       the copyright (Law nr. 633/1941) and protection of personal data
       (Legislative decree nr. 196/2003)
    *
    *
 2. Is the license specific to an organization/place/jurisdiction?
    We generally frown on such licenses (see proliferation below),
    only making politically expedient exceptions (eg, the organization
    is a national government; and these are categorized as "non-reusable").
    ---
       Yes this is specific for Italy so if approved should be
       categorized as non-reusable

 3. Compare and contrast to any existing similar approved as
    OD-conformant licenses <http://opendefinition.org/licenses/>.
    ---
       The IODL, both version 1.0 and 2.0 are very similar to the CC
    BY-SA and
       inspired by the UK Open Government License (OGL-UK-2.0
    <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/2/>)

 4. What benefit does the new license bring over already approved
    OD-conformant licenses
    <diritto+d%3Fautore+%28Legge+n.+633/1941%29%20e%20di%20protezione%20dei%20dati%20personali%20%28D.%20Lgs.%20n.%20196/2003%29.>
    which would outweigh the costs of license proliferation?
    (Link is re software licenses, but the same principles and costs apply.)
    ---
       It contains linkage to the italian laws.

 5. Is the license compatible with existing OD-conformant licenses
    <http://opendefinition.org/licenses/>?
    ---
      Yes CC BY-SA

 6. By alignment (permissions identical or a superset of existing license,
    conditions identical or a subset) and/or express permission
    to license the original and/or adaptations of the licensed work
    under an existing
    license? *
    *---
       Permission are identical, but must also comply to the the law
    provisions
       about copyright law and protection of personal data.

 7. Provide a link to any public drafting process (e.g., conducted on a
    public communication forum of some sort; multiple drafts presented
    to that
    forum) for the license.*
    *---
       There's a FAQ on the IT national portal regarding the IODL
    <http://www.dati.gov.it/content/italian-open-data-license-domande-e-risposte>and

       exist a statistic about license adoption by organization and
    dataset by license type
    <http://www.dati.gov.it/content/infografica#Con%20quali%20licenze>.
       Not sure if it exist a forum or blog where the IODL has been
    publicly discussed.

let me know if any further details are needed
~Alessio