[od-discuss] Fwd: [License-review] Request for approval by license steward: Tidepool Open Access to Health Data Software License

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sat Oct 5 19:44:44 UTC 2013

This TOAHDSL is at the least a curiosity for the Open Definition
(which is referenced in a license condition).

(I highly doubt it is an open source license, as not permitting using
with non-open data would be a restriction on field of endeavor. But a
GPLv3 license will apparently also be offered, so the software will
still be open source; I wonder if they considered a GPL
exception/additional permission rather than a separate license.)

I enjoy seeing this as I think the intersection of open data and
software is huge and important, to the extent it is a sad thing they
are considered separate topics, movements, etc. But trying to
condition one on the other, in this case open data on open software,
and more narrowly in cases like open data/content licenses conditioned
on no technical restrictions, seems to me to point to the limited
effectiveness of licensing as a pro-sharing regulatory mechanism, vs
strong effectiveness as an allow-sharing/collaboration mechanism.
Which means non-license regulatory mechanisms need to be prioritized.

Mike