[od-discuss] v2 - use

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Apr 1 10:01:04 UTC 2014

On 30 March 2014 21:50, Herb Lainchbury <herb.lainchbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> We could turn the former "fields of endeavour" text into a comment to make
> it clearer:
>
> 1.1.1 Use
> The license must allow the use of the licensed work.
>
> 1.1.6 Impartiality
> The license must treat all persons or groups of persons equally.
>
> 1.1.8 Application to Any Purpose
> The license must allow use, redistribution, modification and compilation,
> by any person or group of persons, for any purpose.
>
> Comment:
> The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the work in a
> specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the work from
> being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.
>
> Comment: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit license traps
> that prevent open material from being used commercially. We want commercial
> users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.
>
> Comment: this is adapted from item 6 of the OSD.

Sounds good.

> ----
>
> "I also wonder re-reading now whether we need something about charging in
> the license section"
>
> I think it does make sense to add another condition in the license section
> about charging.
>
> Here is my first attempt.  note: It doesn't allow for "reasonable
> reproduction costs" as 1.x does.  I can't think of a reason to leave that
> door open, nor can I think of an current example of open data were the
> publisher charges.  Would be happy to hear about examples that mean that
> this allowance should be left in.

I think we could allow reasonable reproduction costs still - though with
the indication about downloading over the internet for free. The logic here
is that very large datasets could have some cost and as long as only
*reproduction* cost is asked for I think there isn't an issue here.

> 1.1.x Gratis
> The license must not impose any fee arrangements, compensation or monetary
> remuneration as part of it's conditions.

Perhaps:

1.1.x No Charge

The license must not impose any fee arrangements, compensation or monetary
remuneration as part of it's conditions. The only charge that may be made
is for any one-off reproduction cost, in the common case of downloading
over the internet the this cost would normally be zero.

Rufus