[od-discuss] Question about open data licenses

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sat Apr 12 14:55:40 UTC 2014

On 04/07/2014 09:20 PM, Herb Lainchbury wrote:

> They likely intend the license to be clear so if it's possible for you
> to provide them with feedback about this issue they could very well
> agree and make a change.  I think the thing to keep in mind is that
> people are still figuring this stuff out so it's great to ask questions
> and provide constructive feedback to publishers.  In my experience they
> are usually appreciative of the feedback.
>
> In this case it looks like they have done a great job in trying to make
> their license brief and clear.  Are you able to contact them and offer a
> suggestion?

I wrote Digitaliseringsstyrelsen, or rather the civil servant in charge
of open data and this license, and she has answered that this is really
a bug in the license.

What they had *wanted* to say is that the license does not release the
recipient from obligations to fulfill other legal requirements, and that
the authority cannot be held responsible for unlawful use of the data.

I've been told that since they had wanted to make a clear and
unambiguous license, they now intend to replace the "ensure data are
used in accordance with the law" clause with a disclaimer as outlined
above - which wouldn't be a problem, since it can't be read as a further
restriction.

So thanks very much for your input, it seems that this will (eventually)
fix the problem.

Best,
Carsten