[od-discuss] v2.0dev Review Requested

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 02:49:01 UTC 2014

Building on where the consensus is currently leading, here's a variation of
my wording from before that was liked:

*"Open Knowledge allows anyone the freedoms to access, use, modify, and
share — subject only, at most, to protections that maintain provenance and
openness."*

This uses "Open Knowledge" instead of "Knowledge is Open if". It takes a
more *active* style of grammar. I changed "redistribute" to "share" (the
technical terms can come later I think).

I added "access" emphasizing that quality — knowledge that is not
accessible is not open regardless of whether you can do things with it
after some burdensome access process. Note that this is not entirely new as
there had always been some access emphasis. Note however that licenses
don't necessarily require the access aspect themselves, so open access is
an independent issue from the licensing, but I still think it fits as part
of the definition.

I also changed my original "requirements that protect…" to "protections
that maintain…" but I don't feel strongly about that distinction. We could
also say "terms that maintain" or "terms that protect" or other such
combinations. I like the goal of emphasizing continuity in what this clause
is trying to say.

Keep in mind that we are trying to balance clarity and pithiness. I like my
new proposal here in all it's pithiness.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf