[od-discuss] v2.0dev Review Requested

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Jul 30 18:36:35 UTC 2014

Just to follow up on Mike, Engel and Aaron's sub-thread about the clause
that is currently numbered 2.1.3:

2.1.3 Modification
The license must allow the creation of derivatives of the licensed work and
allow the distribution of such derivatives under the same terms of the
original licensed work.

I think the point is that it is desirable (more open) for downstream users
to be free to use the same specific license as well as other licenses.

However, there are some instances where I think I am prevented from reusing
a license.

Take the UK-OGL for example.
If I download a dataset, modify it and re-distribute it, I don't think I am
free to use the UK-OGL for my derivative.  It's specifically for public
sector information providers.  I would need to choose another license for
my derivative.

I think Engel's concern about the Wiki is valid, and such a license would
be a poor choice for a wiki, but I'm not sure it's not open if I am still
free to use the information and redistribute it under open terms.

I think Mike's suggestion to relax the text is a good one, and we don't
need to force publishers to allow others to use their specific license.

I may be missing something here, but that's how I see it right now.

Herb