[od-discuss] v2.0dev Review Requested

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Thu Jul 31 06:39:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Engel Nyst <engel.nyst at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I don't see where UK-OGL forbids me from using it, or forcing me
> to use another explicit license. Could you please tell where does it
> specifically forbid it?

It is titled "Open Government License for public sector information", and
further down it states, "This licence does not grant you any right to use
the Information in a way that suggests any official status".  I think if I
were to publish my work under a license with that title, it would suggest
some official status.

It may be correct that I could indeed use this license for my work, by
claiming I'm not the government, but I wouldn't do that.  In effect this
license is non-reusable to me as a data publisher, so I would look for one
I could use.

Should publishers be required to make their licenses re-usable in order to
be considered open?  I don't think so.

Should a license that explicitly prohibits re-publishing under the same
license terms be considered non-open?  I don't think so.

So long as I can use the data, modify it, and redistribute it using an open
license of my choosing, I would say it satisfies the Modification
requirement of the definition.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Engel Nyst <engel.nyst at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, the change legitimizes non-reusable licenses, but not only
> existing ones, also potential, future licenses with /more/ clearly
> non-reusable terms than until now.

Non-reusable open licenses exist now.  As far as I can see this change does
not legitimize them, they are already legitimate.

Maybe there are examples that would help.

Can we come up with an example of a license we would currently consider
non-open that this proposed change would make us consider open (i.e.
legitimize)?

Herb

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154