[od-discuss] ISO Codes

Michael Roberts michael.roberts at webfoundation.org
Mon Nov 17 21:16:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

Daniel Dietrich recommend I post this question here.

For those designing standards or using ISO codes ( things like ISO Country codes ) are we violating copyright and/or the spirit of things like the Open Definition?  The reason I ask is on the ISO website it has a PDF that says the following:

> http://www.iso.org/iso/copyright_information_brochure.pdf <http://www.iso.org/iso/copyright_information_brochure.pdf>

"Whether intentionally or unknowingly, a significant number of standards users are breaking copyright
laws by reproducing and/or redistributing standards. Contributing to the violation of
copyright results in lost revenue for the organizations developing and distributing
standards, which not only include ISO and IEC but also their respective members and authorized
distributors. It also jeopardizes the standards themselves by putting them at risk of tampering
and/or inadvertent modifications.

ISO and IEC introduced online sales several years ago in response to client demand for fast
and convenient access to standards. Unfortunately, ease of access has made illegal
photocopying easier and Internet distribution has also increased the potential for standards to be
obtained or distributed illegally.

ISO and IEC International Standards are sold in order to help fund the very process that leads to
their development. “

Are we violating copyright by using them in the creation of standards like IATI - which reference country code lists in the XML, not to mention are posted on the IATI website. It seems like everyone is using them and republishing them but should we?

Cheers,
Michael
---
Michael Roberts