[od-discuss] OD v2 accepts Excel as OpenData?!???

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:34:47 UTC 2014

Hey Aaron,

Just a brief reaction before taking more time to answer in the coming
days: the thing is this is a total game changer. Until now, according
to both OD v1 and the 8/10 principles, you could only say something
was OpenData if and only if it was under an open format. So this is a
complzete step back. Reread my first e-mail and the title : I totally
understood this doesn't say Excel is an open format, but it says
opendata can be under excel which so many of us have been exxplaining
the contray to officials, governments and so on. Clearly saying now
that OpenDefinition does not require open formats is just what
Microsoft has been advocating for in the past 2 years....

And the reason is simple: being able to open a file in LibreOffice
doesn't make it reusable, most of the time data under excel is filled
with presentation issues making the treatment impossible.

As expressed before, in the current situation, the Open Definition
just becomes trash for any advocacy work to us now....

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou