[od-discuss] Registration for accessing open datasets

Dr. Peter Troxler trox at fabfolk.com
Wed Oct 15 10:16:03 UTC 2014

ihmo the Open Definition is silent on this issue

one could consider

"Knowledge is open if anyone is free to access” … does it become non-free if you have to register and log in? Why? Often, there is not even an identification required for registering … so I’d argue registering/logging in does not impact on “free to access"

"(1.2) The work shall be available ... at no more than a reasonable one-time reproduction cost" … is registering and logging in “more than reasonable”? It’s annoying. Lot’s of things are annoying … you might need to register and login to access the Internet in the first place …

my 2c