[od-discuss] Registration for accessing open datasets

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Oct 15 22:25:23 UTC 2014

Presumably publishers want their works to be given the best possible
opportunity to be used and thus obstacles such as login should be
discouraged.

As it stands, the only cost allowed is a one time reproduction cost.  One
could argue that registration and login imposes a different kind of cost
and significant impact on access and freedom and thus violates 1.2.

1.3 also states, "The work must be provided in a convenient and modifiable
form such that there are no unnecessary technological obstacles to the
performance of the licensed rights."   Though this is typically seen with
regard to formats it can also apply to access as in the case of a
requirement to login.  I would argue that login / authentication is both
unnecessary and a technological obstacle.

Herb

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM, Dr. Peter Troxler <trox at fabfolk.com> wrote:

> ihmo the Open Definition is silent on this issue
>
> one could consider
>
> "Knowledge is open if anyone is free to access” … does it become non-free
> if you have to register and log in? Why? Often, there is not even an
> identification required for registering … so I’d argue registering/logging
> in does not impact on “free to access"
>
> "(1.2) The work shall be available ... at no more than a reasonable
> one-time reproduction cost" … is registering and logging in “more than
> reasonable”? It’s annoying. Lot’s of things are annoying … you might need
> to register and login to access the Internet in the first place …
>
> my 2c
>
> On 15 Oct 2014, at 10:32, Lorena Hdez. Quirós <lhquiros at yahoo.es> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know which is your opinion on the need to be registered
> and logged in several portals for accessing open datasets. Is that
> requirement compatible with the Open Definition principles?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lorena

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154