[od-discuss] OD conformant proposal: Open Government Licence v3.0

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Fri Oct 17 14:38:39 UTC 2014

Hi Jo,

The language you propose would seem to preclude use of the URI option if
there is only one provider.  In our work in the mobile space, the challenge
of making attribution visible is often raised, so the linking option works
well.  You might want to consider using the same language used in 4.0
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode>, "in any reasonable
manner based on the medium, means, and context…", which we've stated (by
way of example in the license) allows for attribution by link.  That would
also align the attribution requirements of our licenses more squarely.

Best,
Diane

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Ellis, Jo <
Jo.Ellis at nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:

> Further to my email earlier in the week, after further internal
> discussions relating to the attribution stacking question, we are proposing
> to add the following in to the attribution requirement section of the
> OGLv3.0 in order to address the "onerous" point raised earlier:
>

> If you are using Information from several Information Providers and
> listing multiple attributions is not practical in your product or
> application, you may include a URI or hyperlink to a resource that contains
> the required attribution statements.
>

> I've updated the licence at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C3jPK5U61GU6hMmrEQHJ-TuC8MVPn8ngodlexlQsuRk/edit?usp=sharing
>

> I look forward to hearing from you all.
>

> Jo
>

> Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

> National Archives Disclaimer
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the
> individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and
> have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email.
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do
> not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor
> endorsed by it.

Diane M. Peters
General Counsel, Creative Commons
Portland, Oregon