[od-discuss] OGL UK v3.0 decision time

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sun Oct 26 20:56:48 UTC 2014

I apologize that I have not had time to devote to ODC lately, and I
apologize to the authors of the OGL for not providing this feedback at a
time when it would have been more useful. Nevertheless, some comments:

*The good*
+1. It appears to be compliant with version 2.0 of the Open Definition.

*The less good*
This license is an extremely positive step forward when compared to
previous versions of the OGL UK, and the authors are to be thanked and
congratulated for their hard work. However, I feel the license still has
drafting issues that I feel I should raise for the record and to educate
future submitters to ODC. In particular, roughly from most important down
to "very much drafting nitpicks":

   1. It retains a variety of jurisdiction-specific clauses that will
   inevitably result in a new flood of confusing, customized,
   likely-incompatible versions of the OGL.
   2. Modern open licenses (GPL v3, MPL v2, CC 4, etc.) have realized that
   automatic termination without an ability to remedy the termination can be
   problematic. It would be good if OGL remedied this. (The simplest version
   of the cure that I'm aware of is in copyleft-next, Sec. 7(a)
   <https://gitorious.org/copyleft-next/copyleft-next/source/3baab310f662811ba48d8a86bfe7f9ef7ef612dc:Drafts/copyleft-next>
   .)
   3. The "About" section confusingly mixes legally non-impactful
   commentary/explanation with language that is presumably intended to be
   legally binding ("when the Information is adapted and licensed under either
   of those licenses...") These should be separated out.
   4. Is unnecessarily limited to public sector information ("Contains
   public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence
   v3.0.") which will be unnecessarily confusing when the database is adapted
   by combination with non-public-sector databases.
   5. Does not number sections, which makes discussion of the license
   cumbersome (though the authors are otherwise to be quite applauded for the
   clarity of the drafting!)

As a result of #1, I would strongly urge that OKFN/ODC should state that
usage of the license is disfavored unless absolutely necessary (e.g., where
usage is required by statute) in favor of jurisdiction-neutral licenses
like CC 4.0.

Luis