[od-discuss] Are API-keys OD comp

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Tue Jan 20 19:08:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am interested in your thoughts on the question if a Government API that requires an API-key is in compliance of with the Open Definition?

I think in OD v1 had something about technical restrictions in Paragraph 4. However in OD v2 I don't see an equivalent.

My personal understanding is that the requirement of an API-key might be acceptable if the data also available as a database dump for download. (I think this is a general point in open data best practice that APIs should always be seen as complementary to bulk download but never as replacement.

Looking fwd your comments!

All best
Daniel