[od-discuss] OD 2.1 draft

Aaron Wolf wolftune at riseup.net
Sat Jan 24 20:40:50 UTC 2015

I suggest we actually use the same wording throughout whenever appropriate. How about we use the same wording for 2.2.5 as for the new 2.2.6 wording? "The license may require that distributions of the work…"

I think there's a problem with the wording we missed earlier. The GPL requires source in preferred form, but source is an extra element alongside a binary in many cases.

I suggest a better new 2.2.5:

"The license may require that for any distributions of the work, corresponding source files in the preferred form for modification be made available."

If "any distributions" isn't explicit enough versus "copies and derivatives", then whichever is the preferred wording should be used consistently in the definition (for both 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 and anywhere else appropriate). My concern about "copies and derivatives" is that there's a distinction to be made between the act of distribution versus the status of a copy. The GPL does not apply to derivatives that are not distributed. My preference for the effect of the wording is that it isn't overly specific.

There's actually a very precise issue here regarding private derivatives. The Watcom license is approved by OSI but rejected by FSF. http://opensource.org/licenses/Watcom-1.0 — It says that *private* derivatives are not allowed. It requires that all modifications be published, even if made for only private use. We could think carefully about how we word these details in the OD 2.1 about this. Do we think that type of requirement is acceptable? Or do we think that licenses must allow people to make private modifications?