[od-discuss] introducing "Fair Data"

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 15:40:12 UTC 2015

Hi Conor

Sounds like a very exciting and worthwhile project. Comments in text.

> 2) Talking with some folks at the Berkman Center, too. Who else should we
> reach out to about this?

Right now it seems as if you are speaking mainly to US based organisations.
For global legitimacy it would be best to speak to a few folk from the rest
of the world early on.

Of course that is what you are doing talking to the OKFN list but there are
others who may prove very useful:
The Association for Progressive Communications has many member
organisations in the developing world: https://www.apc.org/

The APC has done ground breaking work on translating human rights to the
digital context.

I would also recommend the Endcode network, which is a nascent network of
experts on data protection in Africa, many of the experts have or are
drafting data protection laws in Africa. Ping me off list and I can put you
touch with someone helping put the network together.

One more group of of people to talk to is the Centre for Internet and
Society in Bangalore -  http://cis-india.org/.

IMO getting input from the developing world is so important that I am just
making that suggestion in this response. I will respond separately on other
issues but this is a big one.

I have other comments but I consider