[od-discuss] introducing "Fair Data"

Aaron Wolf wolftune at riseup.net
Fri Jan 23 23:03:17 UTC 2015

This sounds like a very important but extremely challenging goal.

Off the top of my head:

All data collection that is potentially personally identifiable should
be opt-in rather than opt-out, except where it is completely obvious
that the data is fundamental to a service.

As per Internet Archive policy, steps should be taken to anonymize data
preemptively (they anonymize IP address of visitors so they don't even
have access themselves to identifiable information about who is visiting
the site).

All privacy policy changes should be announced as proposals in advance
with a robust public comment period and never just changed without prior
announcement.

Check out https://tosdr.org/ for good guidelines and an existing
initiative about respectful policies…

There's lots lots more… Definitely try to get all the best ideas from
all the best sources. I'm happy to help, but this isn't my expertise
really. I would love to see such an initiative succeed if done right.

Cheers,
Aaron Wolf
Snowdrift.coop